Luca's Humidor

An unknown Englishman once said, "Blessed be the man who invented smoking, the soother and comforter of a troubled spirit, allayer of angry passions, a comfort under loss of breakfast, and to the roamer of desolate places, the solitary wayfarer through life, serving for wife, children, and friends."

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Agony of Winter

I'm glad to see that Luca has decided to re-inject some life into this blog and I'm ready to do the same, probably because I need to do a little cigar writing to ease the pain of the smoking ban and horrible weather which have combined into the maelstrom that is the painful inability to have a relaxing smoke.

With that said, its time to review my favorites of 2006 and the sticks I'm hoping to try for 2007. I should note that I'm going to keep all of the smokes on this list under $10.00, as there's nothing better than a great value cigar--I'm not quite in the super-premium market yet, but hope to be at some point down the road, so my selections may make more explicit my newbie-ness.

My Favorites of 2006:

1. Fonseca 5-50 (Cigar Aficionado: 89, Top25Cigar: 7.11)



This was my second most smoked ciagar of '06 (behind the 5 Vegas "A" Series), and it was for good reason. My first chance to take on the Fonseca was on a 60 degree May night after a Husker Baseball game in Luca's backyard next to the firepit. I had just finished a stronger smoke (I believe it was a CAO Criollo) which I found a little rough, so I followed it with the 5-50. Normally, I'm critical of milder cigars as "tasteless", but this smoke fully realizes the marriage of mild body and smoothness. I don't know of a better mild-bodied cigar in this price range on the market. The taste was complimented by great construction for a cigar at that price-level along with one of the nicest Connecticut wrappers I saw all year.


2. Cigar CAO Brazilia GOL (Cigar Aficionado: 91, Top25Cigar: 8.26)





I went out on a limb and purchased a single one of these at Cliff's on a whim as I had decent experience with CAOs in the past (particularly the CX2), and as the World Cup was going on last June, I thought it appropirate. The stick measured 5/56, and as the name indicated, had a dark Brazilian wrapper which contrasted the lighter filler quite nicely. Somehow, the CAO found the way to be spicy without being unpleasantly strong. This was a great match for some bourbon Luca and I were enjoying outside on a June night. I'm going to guess this one would have been fantastic after about a year in my humidor, so I think I'll purchase a few of these at the end of this summer to store for Spring 2008.

3. H. Upmann Corona Major (Cigar Aficionado: 86, Top25Cigar: 7.29)

While I had Upmanns of various sizes this year, this one seemed to be the most appropriate. This may be the quintessential "everyday" cigar as each one I enjoyed has had impeccable construction, and although mild to medium, was not short on taste, starting out woody but finishing a little more boldly--I'd guess this is a great match with a lighter-bodied fruity white wine, maybe a Pinot Grigio if not a wheat ale (perhaps Boulevard or Goose Island's new 312). Some reviewers I've read have voiced their general distaste with Indonesian wrappers, but I found it nicely matched with the Dominican/Brazilian fillers. I should also note that Upmann's have had consistently great draws for me all year, and produced more voluminous and pleasant smoke than anything else in the price range.

10 I'd like to try for 2007 (all under $10):

1. La Flor Dominica Double Ligero
2. Padron 4000/6000
3. Padron Magnum
4. Peterson Gran Reserva
5. Gispert Maduro
6. Camacho Select Robusto/Super Robusto
7. La Aroma De Cuba Churchill/Corona/Corona Minor
8. Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8
9. CAO Black Storm
10. Oliva Serie "G" Robusto

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Luca Brasi said...

I'm looking forward to trying a H Upmann, you and jSchau seem to be big fans.

This is one to target for a fiver in the spring.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home