Luca's Humidor

An unknown Englishman once said, "Blessed be the man who invented smoking, the soother and comforter of a troubled spirit, allayer of angry passions, a comfort under loss of breakfast, and to the roamer of desolate places, the solitary wayfarer through life, serving for wife, children, and friends."

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sampling My Way Toward Enlightenment--Born to Be Mild

So I'm halfway through the First Class Premium Sampler which I had recently ordered from C-Bid and I thought it was worth an update.

My two favorite smokes, thus far, were surprisingly, both very mild. I found the Fonseca Connecticut 5/50 and the 5 Vegas Gold to be very comparable, as both were approximately 5 inches long with a 50 ring guage, in my estimation.

The 5 Vegas Gold had one of the more unique draws I've experienced as a fairly unrefined cigar smoker. The filler was packed so loosely that each draw had a sensation as though I was sucking through one of those big straws they have at McDonalds. It actually resulted in me getting a little larger draw than I am used to, especially after having recently smoked several box-pressed cigars. That was compounded by the fact that although the cigar was fairly mild, the resulting smoke was surprisingly potent. That did, however, result in a slightly spicier taste than I expected--resulting in a cigar that was "mild", but not "smooth". Prior to this cigar, I thought those two terms synonomous.

My ratings:

Appearance: 7 of 10
Construction: 7 of 10
Flavor: 6 of 10
Overall Experience: 6 of 10

The Fonseca, much like the 5 Vegas was quite mild, and the Connecticut Wrapper initially had me a little less than excited because it provided nearly no taste whatsoever. However, I found out that the filler provided my first smoke that I would actually describe as "creamy". There were also very woody undertones, but this is as a smooth as a cigar gets for me. After finishing it I told Luca that after having some less than desirable mild cigars in the past that the Fonseca had restored my faith in the "genre". I did have some small burn/construction issues and the wrapper loosened in some spots, but I'm willing to give Fonseca the benefit of the doubt as my humidor has been moved around a lot lately, although I have read of several people having similar problems with this cigar. I didn't notice any bitterness that some reviewers have cited, though.

Appearance: 6 of 10
Construction: 6 of 10
Flavor: 8 of 10
Overall Experience: 8 of 10

Reviews for the CAO Criollo and the Puros Indios are upcoming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home