Luca's Humidor

An unknown Englishman once said, "Blessed be the man who invented smoking, the soother and comforter of a troubled spirit, allayer of angry passions, a comfort under loss of breakfast, and to the roamer of desolate places, the solitary wayfarer through life, serving for wife, children, and friends."

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Taking on the "First Class Premium Sampler Collection"

So, much to my excitement, last week I received my first purchase from www.cigarbid.com. I won the First Class Premium Sampler Collection which includes 8 cigars:

-5 Vegas Gold Churchill (I think I may have received the Toro)
-CAO Criolla Pampa
-Felipe Dominica "T"
-Fonseca Connecticut 5-50
-Gurkha Master Select Robusto #4
-Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Robusto
-Perdomo Reserve La Tradicion Cameroon "R"
-Reserva Maxima Media Corona by Puros Indios

Now I haven't reviewed them carefully to confirm there weren't substitutions on any of the above, as they were all quickly put into the humidor, but I'll update if necessary.

The only one I've had to date is the Gurkha. It had a medium Connecticut wrapper. I had some trouble keeping it evenly lit during the first 10 minutes or so, but after that it smoothed out nicely, and I found the construction and draw to be what you'd expect for a cigar labeled "Master Select". The cigar could probably be described as smooth, and at times, even too smooth. I found myself continually expecting a little more of a kick as the stick got hotter, based upon some hints of taste from the wrapper, but it didn't ever happen--it was very consistent from beginning to end, which I suppose may be a virtue.

I'd give it:

Appearance: 7 of 10
Construction: 7 of 10
Flavor: 4 of 10
Value: 6 of 10
Overall Experience: 5 of 10.

I took the time to check out the ratings from Top 25 Cigar of the remainder of my sampler--we'll see if I agree over the next few weeks:

Gurkha: 8.33
CAO: 8.30
Puros Indios Reserva Maxima: 7.67
5 Vegas: 7.54
Fonseca: 6.95
Indian Tabac: 6.57
Perdomo Reserve: 5.58
Felipe Dominica: NR

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home