Luca's Humidor

An unknown Englishman once said, "Blessed be the man who invented smoking, the soother and comforter of a troubled spirit, allayer of angry passions, a comfort under loss of breakfast, and to the roamer of desolate places, the solitary wayfarer through life, serving for wife, children, and friends."

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Triple Threat




Well friends the cigar crew at Luca's Humidor just picked up a maduro sampler full of all kinds of tasty treats. Seven black beauties to explore, none of which I've had the pleasure of smoking. Within three days we had to break one out, and chose the K.Hansotia Triple Ligero X3.

As indicated in the posts below and the general reputation held by other cigar freaks, Kaizaid Hansotia may be my favorite cigar maker to date. The man rolls a good looking, expertly rolled, and generally tasty smoke.

The X3 mixes Ligero long-fillers and dark, toothy Brazilian maduro wrapper. Pulling the cedar wrapper from the cigar you immediately notice how well rolled the cigar is, something I have noticed in all Gurkas I have smoked. The next thing you notice is the unique taste of the wrapper. At first I couldn’t place it, finding it odd, but not unpleasant. It wasn’t until later that I surmised that it had an almond-ish (yeah I just made that word up) tinge to it.

I was looking forward to the potency of the cigar as most describe it as being full or at least a strong medium. Unfortunately, the first ½ inch was disappointing, no punch, and no real flavor. I was upset, thinking I should have let the cigar sit for a while in my humidor before smoking. Then to my surprise the X3 transformed. Over the next ½ inch it became peppery and spicy, good flavor that was a sharp contrast to the mellow taste of the wrapper.

Then the power hit, a couple of pulls and I got that pleasant buzz I’ve only found in several smokes. Your head feels light, your throat clenches up, and your stomach drops a little like on a roller coaster's descent. The X3 didn’t disappoint after that pull on.

The 6 inch toro has a 52 ring gauge, and provided well over 2 hours of smoking pleasure. I’ll be looking to add more Triple Ligero X3 to my humi, and will push this to the top of my favorites list, as it just catapulted the Gurkha Class Regent.

The X3 gets a 5 out of 5.

See how other's ranked it at top25cigar.com.

1 Comments:

Blogger JohnnyMitchell said...

This was very similar to my experience. I found the wrapper taste very odd (I still can't describe it) and was afraid that was going to affect the taste as a whole, but it actually balanced out the cigar's flavor, especially in the last 1/2 of the smoke.

I don't know that I've ever smoked a cigar that lasted this long. I put it down several times and did have to re-light toward the end.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home